Google has launched G+ to counter facebook.
1) Stream. It’s much like the Facebook News Feed, allowing users to share photos, videos, links or their location with friends.
2) Circles+ The focus of this social project is not on sharing with a mass group of friends, but on targeted sharing with your various social groups. To do this, Google uses a system called Circles. User can create\delete circles and drag and drop their friends on it.
3) Photos & Group Video Chat – Google has created a section specifically for viewing, managing and editing multimedia. The photo tab takes a user to all of the photos he or she has shared, as well as the ones he or she is tagged in. The video chat feature intriduces teh concept of “Hangouts”. Instead of directly asking a friend to join a group chat, users instead click “start a hangout” and they’re instantly in a video chatroom alone
4) Content Discovery Through Sparks – Google has added a recommendation engine for finding interesting content. The feature, Google+ Sparks, is a collection of articles, videos, photos and other content grouped by interest
5) Mobile – There will be mobile apps for Google+
Very interesting to see Google finally standing face to face with Facebook.
I think G+ will take time to catchup with facebook. Social products need social presence and acceptance. Facebook will have data advantage G+ will rely more on Google’s existing infrastructure, technlogies and ability to adapt to the requirements.